Agilent Early Career Professor Award
Agilent congratulates Saeed Hassanpour, winner of the 2019 Agilent Early Career Professor Award
2019 Focus: Contributions to the development of breakthrough artificial intelligence solutions advancing cancer diagnostics based on image analysis of pathology slides
Saeed Hassanpour, Ph.D.
Biomedical Data Science Department
Norris Cotton Cancer Center
Dr. Hassanpour received a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering at Sharif University of Technology, Iran, in 2006. He subsequently received a Master in Computer Science from Waterloo University, Canada, in 2007 and his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Biomedical Informatics from Stanford, CA, in 2012. He conducted postdoctoral training at the Radiology Department at Stanford and worked as a Research Engineer in Microsoft's Search Query Understanding Group at Mountain View, CA.
Dr. Hassanpour joined Dartmouth College Geisel School of Medicine in 2015 as Assistant Professor of the Biomedical Data Science Department. He also holds adjunct positions at the Department of Epidemiology and the Department Computer Science.
During his independent work at Stanford, at Microsoft and at Dartmouth, he has developed novel interpretable deep-learning approaches and data-driven methods for biomedical applications. This has resulted in numerous publications and 2 patents. The publication of his code for deep-learning methodology, called DeepSlide, was recognized as the winner of the Journal of Pathology Informatics Most Popular Article Award for 2017.
Dr. Hassanpour's current research focusses on the use of deep-learning technology for histopathological characterization of colorectal polyps to improve colon cancer screening, as well as on other cancer types and imaging modalities. He has an extensive network of clinical collaborations at Dartmouth, where he also counts on very strong institutional support.
Purpose of Award
- Promote and encourage excellent research enabling measurements of importance to Agilent Technologies and the world
- Establish strong collaborative relationships between Agilent researchers and leading professors early in their career
- Build the prominence of Agilent as a sponsor of university research
- Significant original research contributions enabling measurements of importance to Agilent Technologies and the world
- Outstanding potential for future research
- Alignment with specified focus of the award
- Professor (see FAQ) completed Ph.D. or residency (in case of M.D.'s or M.D.- Ph.D.'s) not earlier than 10 years prior to January of the corresponding award year
- An unrestricted award of a total of $100,000 in support of the professor's research paid to the university in two annual installments
- Option to use all or part of award to obtain Agilent products at 50% discount
- Option to accelerate payments to facilitate procurement of equipment with list price over $100k
- Engraved plaque commemorating award
- Recognition on Agilent's website
2020 ECPA Award
- Award focus, instructions and deadlines will be posted in October 2019.