Agilent Corporate Citizenship Report 2015
NAME OF THE ORGANIZATION
Agilent Technologies Inc.
PRIMARY BRANDS, PRODUCTS, AND/OR SERVICES
Agilent is a global leader in life sciences, diagnostics and applied chemical markets. The company provides laboratories worldwide with instruments, software, services, consumables, applications and expertise, enabling customers to gain the insights they seek. Agilent's expertise and trusted collaboration give customers the highest confidence in our solutions. Key product and services platforms are listed below:
Life Sciences and Applied Markets
- Liquid Chromatography ("LC") systems and components
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry ("LCMS") systems
- Gas Chromatography ("GC") systems and components
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry ("GCMS") systems
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry ("ICP-MS") instruments
- Atomic Absorption ("AA") instruments
- Microwave Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectrometry ("MP-AES") instruments
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometry ("ICP-OES") instruments
- Laboratory Software and Informatics Systems
- Laboratory Automation and Robotic Systems
- Dissolution Testing
- Vacuum Pumps and Measurement Technologies
Diagnostics and Genomics
Product offerings to cancer diagnostics and anatomic pathology workflows. The broad portfolio of offerings includes:
- Immunohistochemistry ("IHC")
- In Situ Hybridization ("ISH")
- Hematoxylin and Eosin ("H&E") staining and special staining.
Companion Diagnostics – Collaboration with a number of major pharmaceutical companies to develop new potential pharmacodiagnostics, which may be used to identify patients most likely to benefit from a specific targeted therapy.
Arrays for DNA mutation detection, genotyping, gene copy number determination, identification of gene rearrangements, DNA methylation profiling, gene expression profiling, as well as Next Generation Sequencing ("NGS") target enrichment.
Nucleic Acid Solutions
Provides equipment and expertise focused on production of synthesized oligonucleotides under pharmaceutical Good Manufacturing Practices ("GMP") conditions for use as Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients ("API") in an emerging class of drugs that utilize nucleic acid molecules for disease therapy
Solutions range from chemistries and supplies to services and software helping to connect the entire lab, and to keep instruments fully operational and compliant with the respective industry requirements.
GC and LC columns, sample preparation products, custom chemistries, and a large selection of laboratory instrument supplies.
Startup, operational, training and compliance support, as well as asset management and consultative services that help increase customer productivity.
Please visit our website http://www.chem.agilent.com/EN-US/PRODUCTS-SERVICES/Pages/default.aspx for detailed information on product and services offered by Agilent.
LOCATION OF ORGANIZATION'S HEADQUARTERS
Agilent Technologies Inc
5301 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Santa Clara, CA 95051
Phone: (408) 553-2424
NUMBER OF COUNTRIES WHERE THE ORGANIZATION OPERATES, AND NAMES OF COUNTRIES WITH EITHER MAJOR OPERATIONS OR THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY RELEVANT TO THE SUSTAINABILITY ISSUES COVERED IN THE REPORT
Agilent operates in more than 100 countries worldwide. Agilent's primary research and development, and manufacturing sites are in California, Colorado, Delaware and Texas in the U.S., and in Australia, China, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
Information about each of our businesses appears below:
Life Sciences & Applied Markets Business: Our life sciences and applied markets business has manufacturing facilities in California and Delaware in the U.S. Outside of the U.S., we have manufacturing facilities in Germany, Malaysia, Singapore and the U.K. Our FDA registered sites are in California, Germany and Singapore.
Diagnostics and Genomics Business: Our diagnostics and genomics business has manufacturing facilities in California, Colorado and Texas in the U.S. Outside of the U.S., we have manufacturing facilities in Malaysia and Germany. Our FDA registered sites include California, Colorado, Texas and Denmark.
Agilent CrossLab Business: Our primary manufacturing sites for the consumables business are in California and Delaware in the U.S., and outside of the U.S. in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Our direct service delivery organization is regionally based, operating in 30 countries.
NATURE OF OWNERSHIP AND LEGAL FORM
Agilent is listed on the New York Stock
Exchange and our ticker symbol is "A".
MARKETS SERVED (INCLUDING GEOGRAPHIC BREAKDOWN, SECTORS SERVED, AND TYPES OF CUSTOMERS/BENEFICIARIES
Agilent focuses its expertise on six key markets where we support our customers to achieve their goals:
Pharmaceutical and Biotech: Agilent has one of the broadest solutions portfolios of any company serving the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. Our solutions provide precise answers for every segment of the pharmaceutical industry, from disease research and drug discovery to drug development, manufacturing and quality control. Our start-to-finish solution set means customers can get products to market faster. Customers trust us to help them test the purity of their therapeutics. Agilent also ensures that our instruments and processes conform to the highest compliance regulations.
Diagnostics & Clinical: Agilent gives doctors a head start in the fight against cancer and other diseases. Our solutions help pathology laboratories deliver fast, accurate information to the doctors, hospitals and medical centers they serve. We help medical professionals make the most accurate diagnoses so patients can receive the most effective therapies.
Environmental and Forensic: From pesticides to pharmaceutical residues to trace metals, we provide fast, accurate and sensitive methods for monitoring contaminants affecting quality of life. Agilent solutions also play an important role in law enforcement by providing robust tools and instruments to analyze and verify evidence at trial, and keeping the world's top-performing athletes honest.
Academic and Government: Most life sciences and diagnostics research is done at top-tier universities, with funding from governments around the world. Agilent is helping these researchers learn more about cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, autism and other ailments. Our instruments, software and sample preparation solutions help scientists conduct faster, more accurate research.
Food: Agilent helps ensure that our global food supply is free of contaminants-whether chemical, viral, bacterial or microbiological. Our customers include government regulators and laboratories that control food safety, as well as private companies that produce, package and sell food to the public.
Chemical and Energy: The world runs on energy, and energy companies need to locate, extract and refine fuels efficiently and cost-effectively. Our solutions help customers maximize their production and predict failures in their refineries before they happen. Agilent also helps energy researchers investigate biofuels, renewable fuels and other forms of alternate energy.
Read about the Agilent products and solutions that serve the life sciences, diagnostics and applied chemical markets.
SCALE OF THE REPORTING ORGANIZATION
The company's 11,800 employees serve customers in more than 100 countries. Agilent had net revenues of $4.04 billion in fiscal 2015. More details on Company Information.
TOTAL NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES BY EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT AND GENDER, EMPLOYMENT TYPE, SUPERVISED WORKER, WORKFORCE BY REGION
Please refer to G4-LA1 section of this report
EMPLOYEES COVERED BY COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS
Agilent meets all applicable laws, regulations, and standards where we do business.
DESCRIBE ORGANIZATION SUPPLY CHAIN
Agilent's supply chain organizations are chartered to provide optimal value-added sourcing and procurement services that are:
- Legal, accountable and auditable
- Ethically, environmentally and socially responsible
- Economically effective
- ISO compliant
Our order fulfillment and supply chain organization ("OFS") centralizes all order fulfillment and supply chain operations in our businesses. OFS provides resources for manufacturing, engineering and strategic sourcing to our respective businesses. In general, OFS employees are dedicated to specific businesses and the associated costs are directly allocated to those businesses.
To address the potential disruption in our supply chain, we use a number of techniques, including qualifying multiple sources of supply and redesign of products for alternative components. In addition, while we generally attempt to keep our inventory at minimal levels, we do purchase incremental inventory as circumstances warrant to protect the supply chain.
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES DURING THE REPORTING PERIOD REGARDING SIZE, STRUCTURE, OR OWNERSHIP
- In November 2014, we announced a change in organizational structure designed to better serve our customers. Our life sciences business, excluding the nucleic acid solutions division, together with the chemical analysis business combined to form a new segment called Life Sciences and Applied Markets business. Our diagnostics and genomics businesses combined with the Nucleic Acid Solutions Division, and became the Diagnostics and Genomics business. Finally, the Agilent CrossLab business was formed from the services and consumables businesses.
- On April 30, 2015 we announced that we have completed an agreement with Rigaku, a privately held scientific instrumentation company headquartered in Tokyo, to acquire Agilent's X-ray diffraction (XRD) business, a key manufacturer of single-crystal X-ray instruments for the global chemical crystallography market.
- On May 19, 2015 we announced that we have completed the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Cartagenia, a leading provider of software and services for clinical genetics and molecular pathology laboratories for €60 million. Cartagenia, provides software solutions for variant assessment and reporting of clinical genomics data from next-generation sequencing and microarrays.
More information about the company separation is available at Organization Announcements.
PRECAUTIONARY APPROACH OR PRINCIPLE ADDRESSED BY THE ORGANIZATION
Agilent's approach to risk management is largely decentralized, supported by the belief that those closest to risk can manage it most effectively. Risk management expertise exists throughout the enterprise, with a corporate function-- Agilent Global Risk Management--in place. Global Risk Management is chartered to promote prudent risk management practices through direct engagement with business units and selected infrastructure organizations, using tools and processes to facilitate global risk management practices.
ENDORSEMENT OF EXTERNALLY DEVELOPED ECONOMIC, ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL CHARTERS, PRINCIPLES, OR OTHER INITIATIVES
Many of Agilent's policies and practices used in our business operations are consistent with internationally accepted charters and principles. Some of the guidelines, charters and principles that were considered by Agilent in developing our policies, position statements, EHSMS, and reporting structures are:
- 1987 Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer and adjusted by Meetings of the Parties in 1990, 1992, 1995, and 1997; Ozone Secretariat, United Nations Environmental Program
- California Supply Chain Transparency Act of 2010
- Conventions of the International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Custom Trade Partnership Program Against Terrorism
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
- ISO 13485:2003-Medical Devices Quality Management Systems
- EU Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive 2012/19/EU
- Global Reporting Initiative -GRI 4.0 sustainability reporting guidelines
- ISO 14001:2004 - International standard for environmental management systems
- ISO 26000 -Standard that provides guidance on social responsibility
- ISO 9000:2005-Quality Management Systems- Fundamentals and Vocabulary
- ISO 9001:2008-Quality Management Systems- Requirements ISO 9000:2005
- OHSAS 18001:1999 -Standard for occupational health and safety management systems
- Procurement Strategy Council
- United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and those enacted under the OECD Convention on Combating Bribery of Foreign Public Officials in International Business Transactions.
- US Equal Opportunity laws and accompanying regulations
- UK Bribery Act 2010
MEMBERSHIPS IN ASSOCIATIONS (SUCH AS INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS) AND/OR NATIONAL /INTERNATIONAL ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS IN WHICH THE ORGANIZATION: HAS POSITIONS IN GOVERNANCE BODIES; PARTICIPATES IN PROJECTS OR COMMITTEES; PROVIDES SUBSTANTIVE FUNDING BEYOND ROUTINE MEMBERSHIP DUES; OR VIEWS MEMBERSHIP AS STRATEGIC
Agilent participates in trade, industry, and professional organizations that are local, national, and global. Participation helps us achieve business and citizenship goals by enabling us to work with other companies on issues that affect our industry. Memberships also keep Agilent abreast of industry issues and best practices and provide vehicles through which we can contribute to and influence public policy. Examples of these memberships:
- ANSI, American National Standards Institute
- Boston College Center for Corporate Citizenship
- BEC Belgian mirror standards committee to IEC
- Category and Sourcing Managers Executive (CASME)
- CALCE (Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering)
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Confederation of Indian Industry
- Corporate Executive Board
- Dangerous Good Advocacy Council
- EDMA - European Diagnostic Manufacturers Association
- Engineering Advisory Board, College of Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
- European Union Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce
- Hackett Benchmarking Research
- Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education (IISME)
- iNEMI (National Electronics Manufacturers Initiative)
- National Association of Software and Services Companies
- National Research Council of the National Academies
- Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- Stanford University Interdisciplinary Biosciences Advisory Council
- Synthetic Biology Engineering Research Center (SynBERC)
- The Information Technology Industry Council (ITI)
- TechUK Trade association
- The National Medal of Technology and Innovation Nomination Evaluation Committee
- The International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) Foundation
- VDGH German IVD Association
- Visiting Committee for Advanced Technology, National Institutes of Standards and Technology
|<< Awards and Recognition||Identified Material Aspects and Boundaries >>|